Libraries of Connecticut
Naugatuck (Howard Whittemore Memorial Library)
Whittemore specified that the Board of Trustees would always have a representative from each of the churches from that date (1894). There are no other members.
Curt Teich card, printed at the behest of C.W. Hughes & Co. in 1930.
New Britain Institute
Founded in 1853. This building, designed by William F. Brooks of Davis & Brooks, was opened in 1901. It is still in use, with newer branches.
The postcard was printed in Germany, and mailed in 1907.
Two of New Haven's branch libraries were Carnegie-funded. The main library was not.
(L) Public Library, Court House and Union and N.H. Trust Co. (1929)
(R) Linen card with springtime view.
The library building is still in use. The linked page has some interesting photos.
This gorgeous card was another Rotograph product.
1891 Romanesque building. H.H. Richardson created the original design, but the architectural firm of Sheply, Rutan & Coolidge finished the work. Still in use, with renovations in 1974, 2001, and 2006.
1898 building, with a 1977 addition-cum-renovation. The Romanesque details were kept, and the addition blends in gracefully.
F.M. Cassedy card, essentially mutilated in 1905.
Built in 1889 from a George Keller design. It received additions in 1811 and 1985.
These Albertype post cards, hand colored, may show that 1911 addition, as one (L) was mailed in 1932, and the other, in 1916.
Would you believe the Library was founded (1740) as the United Society for Propagating Christian and Useful Knowledge?
The city also is served by the Abingdon Social Library.
The postcard was mailed in 1914.
Ridgefield (E.W. Morris Memorial Library)
(L) Lovely hand-colored Albertype postcard, never mailed.
(R) Photo by C.F. Korker on a Dexter Press chrome NATCO brand card.
Built in 1901. Replaced in FY 2012-13.
Rockville (George Maxwell Memorial Library)
August Schmelzer card mailed to Germany in 1921.
1904 building by Charles A. Platt. Believed to still be in use.
Still in use, sadly, after two major renovations.
In May 2015, they suffered from the aftermath of a burst pipe.
No one should go through all that.
This is a Mayrose brand postcard. The library does look much better on its website than here.
The Library has a 200 year history as a public institution. However, this building dates from the 1890s, and has a 1981 addition which assured proper service.
What an enormous clock it has!
J.G. Kimmerle card printed by A. Hess.
Built in 1914. Destroyed in a 1955 flood.
This must be the worst applied automobile ever. The card was published by Morris Berman, and printed by New Process-Chrom.
They should have gone back to the Old Process.
Sharon (Hotchkiss Library)
1893 library building designed by Bruce Price. It's still in use.
Geo B. Klebes postcard was printed by PCK in Germany. It was mailed in 1909.
Shelton (Plumb Library)
Published (ca. 1906) in Germany for Hart's 5¢ and 10 Stores.
Still in use, with extremely limited hours.
Collotype card, never mailed.
Unattributed photo postcard.
The 1896 Eclectic building is no longer in use: fate unknown.
South Coventry (Booth & Dimock Memorial Library)
Still in use. The 1913 building was expanded in the middle of the 20th century.
Linen finish Tichnor Quality View, annotated 1953.
Southport (Pequot Library)
On the National Register of Historic Places. If ever a building deserved the honor, this Romanesque gem does.
Designed by Robert H. Robertson in 1893, it became public in 1894. Of course, the Monroes (benefactors) couldn't swing a huge building by themselves, so the earliest library addition I know of appeared in 1897.
This was such a great institution that part of its collection went to Yale's Beinecke Library on permanent loan.
Collotype postcard, never mailed.
Stamford (Ferguson Library)
Freed in 1911. Expanded in 1930 and 1982. Still in use.
Tichnor Quality View in linen finish, never mailed.
Strong library history page. Its architects were Clinton and Russell; and the contractors, Norcross Brothers.
The 1900 building was expanded in 1956 and 1990, and renovated in 2005.
The Dexter Press 'Silvercraft' card appears to date from the 1950s.
Suffield (Kent Memorial Library)
1899 building, replaced in 1972. The Suffield Academy now owns the building.
Collotype card, never mailed. Despite the company's location in New Jersey, there are a large number of Connecticut postcards produced by Collotype.
Also posted on the Carnegie library page, as Andrew Carnegie pitched in $1,700 in 1906 to bail out the library building from debt. The building had been built in 1900-1901 by Griggs and Hunt. The Library puts forth a convincing argument for the Carnegie involvement.
It was replaced by a 7,000 square foot building in 1971. Oddly, the two library buildings were connected rather than demolishing the old.
G.A. Lemmon card.
Not to be confused with the confusing Thomaston Library above.
A 1987 Thompson Historical publication, the card bears the Library's history:
The Thompson Public Library, Thompson Hill, was dedicated September 25, 1902, having been built through efforts of Windham County historian and Thompson resident, Ellen D. Larned, and friends, through monies and labor from locat residents. The library collection has grown from 1,500 books to 25,000 books, periodicals and video tapes circulated among the Thompson Hill library, the North Grosvenordale branch and the bookmobile.
Since then, the library's website tells us that the new building is now in North Grosvenordale, and this location was closed. I hope it still stands.
Its antecedent was the Wolcottville Library Association, until 1881.
This Earnest Greene building was built in 1901, and renovated in 1970.
This American News Company postcard was mailed in 1905.
Washington (Gunn Memorial Library)
Dedicated in 1908: expanded in 1994. Also serves as a museum, and is run by a non-profit corporation.
They are just a tetch annoyed by their lack of funds and the complaints of the public about inadequate holdings and service. (see "How We Operate.")
The card's reverse divider states 'C.T. Colorchrome,' but the publisher statement is Morris Berman of New Haven, and it bears his MB logo.
Waterbury (Silas Bronson Library)
1894 Italian Renaissance building demolished in 1968.
The Library currently serves an urban, poorer base. It had an impressively bilingual web site at one point, but it's now in straightforward English.
This building was built in 1908, funded by Morris K. Jesup. Replaced in 1986: fate unknown.
Card printed by Curt Teich for Morris Berman of New Haven.
Winsted (Beardsley and Memorial Library)
1899 Romanesque building, remodeled in 1985 and 2003. Still in use.
The Art Store postcard, with entire back, has an unusual detail: copper windows. Only one other card in my collection features this attractive printing feature.