Carnegie Libraries of Nebraska
Cities A - C
April, 1907 grant, per Bobinski; 1908, per 'Nebraska Public Library Founding Dates.' Still in use.
New library web site, which shows the Carnegie building in part.
'Litho-chrome' American card, probably a Curt Teich product. Mailed in 1915.
It shows Albion Public Library, and 1908 in a disc, above the entrance.
Late 1909 Carnegie grant: replaced, and serves as an Art Center.
Card tinted with blue and green only, on a peculiar view. Mailed in 1912.
1907 grant. No longer in use as a library: replaced by Hoesch Memorial Library. Apparently it's a private residence.
This is an exceptionally crisp photo postcard, possibly from L.L. Cook.
(L) Don't know who produced this, but whoever did, this is the 52nd of the series.
(R) L.L. Cook photo postcard, without the tell-tale print caption. Mailed in 1949.
(L, below) It almost seems as if there is a little bit of Deco influence on this post-1909 building.
It's an early 'C.T. Photochrom, mailed in 1915. I wonder who the two children were?
One of two Carnegie buildings in the city: Seavey is the other. This building is no longer in use as a library.
(L) Real Photo Postcard (RPPC) mailed in 1911. No attribution.
(R) Public Library and Central School, Beatrice, Nebr.
Card postmarked 1915.
Confirmed as a 1904 Carnegie library, but don't discount the ladies of the WCTU.
In 1881, they began to fund the library founded by Clara Colby in 1873.
The Carnegie building was replaced in 1991, and used by the school system from 1991-1999 and 2002-2004, per Carnegie Center, Inc.
Vacant. Renovation funding sought, beginning 2005. A 2012 Google Street View shows new windows amidst a renovation.
Where its destiny lies is a good question.
1916 grant. Designed by Fiske & Meginnis. Demolished, according to Wikipedia. The Library page has no further information.
Lovely, unattributed photo post card, mailed in 1938.
1913 grant. Constructed in 1916, the building is extant, It's asymmetric, as is Alma above, plus Wayne Carnegie library, and very plain, meeting Carnegie's frugality requirement admirably, but not the community monument as much.
1915 Carnegie grant: still in use.
Commercialchrome postcard, never mailed.
1913 grant. Renovated in 1961, with a large addition. Replaced in 1977. No longer in use.
The C.J. Fennel postcard's 1917 message:
Very hot here and the water taste like H---
1913 Carnegie grant: the Library was remodeled and renovated at least once.
L.L. Cook photo postcard, mailed in 1954, with comment, 'Sure stays hot up here.'