Carnegie Libraries of Colorado
1908 Carnegie grant. Replaced in 1961: demolished the year after. This was a strangely attractive building, especially with the "Carnegie" designation lettered to fill the triangular plinth.
The postcard was printed for the Mt. Blanco Drug Company. By whom, I don't know.
Patterned after a Greek temple.
Built in 1906. Nearly abandoned in 1961. Restored in 1981 and now in use as the Carnegie Branch Library for Local History.
Williamson-Haffner postcard that may date from the era of the Great War.
1915 building with a 1984 addition. Still in use as the East Morgan County Library.
Photo postcard with misspelled caption.
The Library itself was founded in 1886.
From a 1901 Carnegie grant, this building was begun in 1902, and opened in 1903. Still in use.
The early photo card, produced by Commercial Studio in Lamar, was mailed in 1910.
(L) The "Blue Sky" genre of postcards was practiced the best by C.U. Williams, Curt Teich, and E.C. Kropp. This sad example is by H.H.T.Co. This card seems to be one of the most plentiful in the postcard collecting universe.
(R) Thayer Publishing Co. card, captioned, 'The Antlers Hotel and Public Library, Colorado Springs, Colorado.'
1903 Carnegie grant. The Calvin Kiessling-designed building was completed in 1905. 2002 renovation.
The Library is part of the Pikes Peak Library District, which contains another Carnegie building, the West End Carnegie Library.
Believe it or not. Denver's old library--now a cultural center--was a Carnegie library, built in 1910, costing only $360,000. It has been replaced by a modern edifice. Eight branches also were funded by Carnegie.
(L) Curt Teich card includes the Voorhees Pool.
(R) Luxe card from unknown publisher.
(L) Sanborn Souvenir, mailed in 1951.
(C) Barkalow Bros. card includes 4 statues.
(R) Night view of the Carnegie building.
Early 1906 grant. Replaced; serves as Durango city offices.
(L) Albertype postcard.
(R) Photo postcard, mailed in 1947.
Now the Poudre River Public Library District Library. Some time after 1953, the Carnegie building was replaced, and is now a museum.
Sepia-tinted postcard mailed in 1912.
Late 1914 grant. Because of an engulfing addition, it remains in use today.
Sanborn Souvenir postcard, printed by Curt Teich.
(L) According to a photo on the Museum of Western Colorado's site, the colors on this unattributed card are accurate.
(R) Sedate card, mailed in 1905.
An early Christmas present grant (December 21, 1899). Replaced in 1938. These Coloradians were not wild about Andy. Why Carnegie objected to the foundation (and even the porch), heaven only knows. Did the man expect the library to levitate? The Library is now part of the Mesa County Libraries: the building demolished.
1903 grant. Still in use, as part of the Clear Creek County Library District. Do not try saying that fast three times.
The postcard was produced by the Albertype Co. for S.A. Noyes.